Tuesday, November 1, 2011







Wagwan Papcaun! haha as you can tell ive really been picking everything up here in jamaica haha. I have only been here for a little over a week now, but i have learned so much. For about the first week here i was in culture shock, i will admit it. every morning i would wake up and would ask myself what is going on? what am i doing here? but then by the end of every day being in jamaica would be normal to me. but then every morning i would be shocked again. I think this is because in the day i was adapting to jamaica but at night my dreams were still american. but now my dreams are jamaican. so every day i work up and jamaica has already begun to become my home. I already have sooooo many crazy and funny stories about dogs, crazy people, and the things people think about us. I am struggling a little bit trying to understand everyone but i have greatly improved from when i first arrived here. we have 14 new investigators, hopefully all of them are effective and follow through on their commitments. we have also been visiting less active members and we got 4 less active members/families to come to church yesterday after they hadn't been to church in a month or more. so things are going good here. No baptism dates yet, but we are working hard. It is difficult because many peoples views about the gospel and churches are very distorted. at many churches people "get in the spirit" which means they shout and clap their hands and speak in tounges and run around, so when we tell them about the reverent nature of our church it throws them off. Some people think that it doesnt matter what church you attend as long as you worship Jesus. It is because of this that we always try to emphasize that this is the only true church. other churches may be good, but this church is the best, and it is the only church with the fullness of the gospel. I love the members and the people that i teach though. I will be very sad when I will have to leave May Pen because they already hold a special place in my heart. many members make great sacrifices to come to church. Many dont have cars and they live far away so they use whatever means they can to make it to church every week. there are so many temptations here that can easily beset people. Being here makes me very grateful to have a home in utah. But really we are very blessed in utah. there is a church on every corner, there are good friends and influences all around us. Here in Jamaica it is tough but them members find ways to follow the gospel and endure in their faith overcoming their challenges and temptations. But i am doing good here i am trying to follow the spirit and teach and find people who are ready and willing to live the gospel. everyone write me or dear elder me it will be great to hear from you. The gospel is true and it really can change peoples lives. there truly is a light in the eyes of those who follow the gospel. I love you all until next week,

Elder Nugent

No comments:

Post a Comment