Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Hello from Jamaica everyone! things are great here. I arrived at 8:00 pm after leaving the MTC at 3:00 a.m. I then went to the mission presidents house where we were fed and i got to spend the night there. My mission president is a great guy. He is a former fbi agent so he knows his stuff haha. Driving to his house from the airport was pretty crazy... probably the craziest drivers i have ever seen haha but it was fun. I love being here. the people are all great and it is definitely different. most people make their livings by setting up little shacks in their yards or on the street selling pretty much anything. everywhere i go its like a big party is going on all the time. people blast music super loud wherever i am. people just go in the street and talk and do whatever they do. It is funny because here people call me a white guy. i will be riding my bike down the street and people will shout out hey look its a white guy on a bicycle haha. and little kids are always like "look its a white man" haha so definitely different from utah where everyone always called me the black guy. my companion is really cool though i will be his last companion before he leaves the mission. he is from Jamaica and his name is Elder Johnson. I am trying to learn patwa from him and all that i can about jamaica so that when people say "look its a white man" i can talk to them and they will be like "oh never mind he is from Jamaica" haha. he is a good guy though and works hard which is good. The area that i am serving in is called may pen. it is a very big city. its cool because half of it is bush (rain forest) and the other half is city where there are tons of people. I heard it is one of the roughest cities other than kingston and spanish town. but everyone here is usually pretty nice. definitely different but nice. the branch is pretty cool. there are about 50 people that went to church last sunday lots of them know grandma and grandpa. oh another funny thing is that as soon as i arrived in jamaica all of the elders i talked to called me harry potter because im famous among the members and i dont really know it haha. so my nick name is harry potter. we live in this tiny place above someones house its nice though. i still remember a lot about jamaica from when i came about 11 years ago. i remember the smells mostly and i love it. the food here is sooo  good some of the best food ive ever had. the members are all nice. Elder Johsnon and i are both new to the area so we are "white washing" meaning we dont know anyone and there were no investigators when we got there so we have been using most of our time finding. People here are really easy to talk to about the gospel. most anyone will listen and let you come back and share the message. i hear the thing that people struggle with is committing to things like going to church reading etc. so that is our focus committing the people we meet to do the things they need to do. well as you can tell im pretty excited about being here. i love it. it is intense. i never feel afraid of anyone or anything here i know im on the Lords errand and he will protect me. I hope everything is going well down there. everyone write me at the jamaica address. I only get mail about once a month so dont get mad if it takes me a while to respond.

Love,
Elder Nugent

No comments:

Post a Comment