Monday, November 14, 2011




Wagawan everybody!? Hows it going? My stay in Jamaica has continued to speed by... a little bit too fast. I am still enjoying the food and the people and waking up at 6 30 every day and going to bed at 10 30 every night. I never thought I would see the day where I would wake up at 6 30 and like it but i guess now i have. 

We are still hard at work here trying to spread the gospel. Today I obtained my own machette for the very first time. so now i can really go to work serving people by cutting their yards haha. It is amazing to me how the spirit magnifies my calling as a missionary. Before my mission I would not have lasted going out riding bikes all over the place all day, talking to everyone, and serving everyone in the Jamaica humidity and heat. I simply would not have had enough energy nor strength. But being a missionary definitely gives you special blessings. In Mormon Chapter 4 i think it talks about the Spirit of the Lord leaving the people so they had to fight with their own strength and not the strength of the Lord. This means that when we have the spirit, strength can be given to us. I have definitely seen this take place in my every day life as a missionary. Every morning i wake up pumped and ready to go and when I am out there I can ride all day all over the place. 

The work has definitely been improving as well. Right now we have another person who has committed to be baptized, and we are teaching a family who really wants to be baptized and join the church as well. I have definitely seen how the Lord has prepared them to receive us missionaries which is pretty cool. People are still struggling to follow their commitments which is always disappointing but we are still pressing forward and hopefully they will come around eventually and have a greater desire to follow the Lord. 

The transfer is almost over which is so crazy because it seems like yesterday that I first arrived in Jamaica. The people here are still trying to determine what ethnicity I am. I have been called white, chinese, japanese, indian, and portugese. It was funny, the other day i was riding past and i heard a lady talking and she was asking the people she was with if i was white or black haha.  

I am including some pictures that were taken a while ago. One of them is one of the lizards that lives with us. The other two are of the Island of Jamaica on my first day here. and the last one is of me at the airport with a man I met who was a previous mission president over jamaica when it was part of the florida fort lauterdale mission. he said that grandpa was one of his counselors. I forgot what his name was though. It is tough to take pictures, but I promise more will come. 

Everyone know that I love it here in jamaica. I have definitely learned a lot. My testimony has grown, I know that the Book of Mormon is the word of God, I know that Jesus is the Christ, and i know that this is his church. I have heard that jamaica has the most churches per square mile in the world which does not surprise me one bit. I imagine that the conditions here are similar to those of Joseph Smiths time where there were many churches all preaching different doctrines from the same bible. It is sad to see some of the confusion that prevail among so many people. well it has been real. I hope you all have a good week and continue to fortify yourselves against the evils of the world by reading your scriptures daily, praying daily, going to church weekly and doing whatever it takes to draw nearer to God.

Love,
Elder Nugent

No comments:

Post a Comment