Monday, March 5, 2012


Hello everybody! how is everyone doing? I am doing well in Mandeville. I
love it here. the area is so beautiful and the weather is very delightful.
It is like spring time but all the time. It is really nice. I am getting
along well with my companion Elder Diehl. We are working hard. Missionary
work is a little different in Mandeville than May Pen. A lot of people here
have jobs during the day so it is very difficult to find people to teach
consistently because they are so busy. The branch is a lot smaller too. We
probably average about 30 people per week who come. It is definitely
different, but I enjoy it. This past week we had a really cool experience
teaching a man. i will call his name mr. t for confidentiality sake. Last
week, we had our first real sit down lesson with mr. t. We were planning on
just teaching him about the restoration of the gospel. As we were teaching
him he wasn't really absorbing anything. He is one of those people who
believe in a lot of conspiracy theories so it was pretty difficult in
getting things across to him. As we taught, he wouldnt really think about
what we were teaching him and he always would bring up some other
conspiracy theory. After a good while of this ineffective teaching, I felt
prompted to tell him to stop fornicating. Previous to this, Troy never told
us he had been fornicating, and normally we dont bring up the law of
chastity in the first sit down lesson. But I followed the prompting and
told him to not fornicate. When I told him this, the whole lesson changed.
He looked at me and said, "you know what? I think you are right" and he was
much more open to us and what we were teaching. He was way more receptive
to what we taught him, and he agreed to try to stop fornicating and to
start reading the Book of Mormon, and to start praying about it. It was
such a cool experience. After we finished the lesson and were walking back
towards our next appointment, Elder Diehl told me he had the same
impression to tell him to stop fornicating. It was such a cool experience
to know that we had been truly led by the Spirit to know what to teach Mr.
T. I know that this gospel is true. I am so thankful to have the
opportunity of proclaiming it to Jamaica, and especially Mandeville. I know
that Jesus Christ truly suffered and died for our sins, and I know that God
answers prayers. Sorry this letter is a little shorter than my previous
ones, I will try to upload some pictures next time. Until then, Have a good
week, I love and miss you all. Mandeville is great I love serving here.

Love,
Elder Nugent

No comments:

Post a Comment